Friday, August 13, 2010

Little China


Things are relatively quiet up in Little China which is just upstairs in my house. I have quieted the savage beast in me that occasionally rears it’s ugly head. Even when that happens, I do not lose sight of how blessed that I am caring for offspring that are not my own. It has been a journey that started a little over 12 years ago, even though my apprenticeship as a Step Dad did not start on that first date in June. I had no idea back then of just how complex a task of love being a father figure would be. 
That seminal moment, when all three of my wife’s children arrived in Huntington for an overnight stay, and I started to feel selfishly crowded, I told my wife that I didn’t sign up for this. She said in no uncertain tones, Yes you did.  With a deep breath and a sigh I knew she was right, and I also knew that my lone wolf days were over.  
This summer has rocketed by and my role as father figure has to take a more active role  when my birds come back in late October.  It is for their own good that lovingly I bump them out of their perch and I know (even if they don’t) that they can fly. If they fall from the sky my hands will be outstretched even if I grumble a bit. My legacy as a step dad will be further tested and not without challenges because the future generation although not conceived yet (I hope) will be the next chapter, and one I am looking forward to. However, please don’t tell my kids that. 

No comments: