Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Briant's Dilemma


I don’t think I have been remiss in my entries into Step Dad because there really hasn’t been a whole hell of a lot to report. Gone are my frustrations with my stepson that he simply lacks the drive and initiative to make something out of his life because he just does not. He got married in a rather cavalier way figuring one of his relatives or me would simply hand him an entry-level position that paid him handsomely so that he could make a respectable living. 

Only yesterday I suggested he take a spin class with me because I had secured him a free months pass to Equinox an exercise club I belong to. He instantly said that he had no interest going at such an ungodly hour to the classes I attended and in my mind I thought if it wasn’t close enough to the noon hour he would have no part of that. 

I am trying not to be facetious but my son is more concerned with sleep than he is carving out a living. This is strangely attached to his low self-esteem wherein he struggles to prove his own worth to himself.  My own theory is that his mother molly coddled him like my own parents did to their last-born child. My youngest sister has some of the same deleterious expectations of entitlements that my son has although I must confess he does not have the selfish manipulation she does.  I am not sure whether to blame nature or nurture here but clearly something went awry.  

He announced to his mother that he expected to be out of the house with his lovely wife at the end of the summer. I pay no attention to such proclamations because he can’t rub two nickels together and it probably will take one of my oversized boots to give him a swift loving kick and send him reeling from the nest before his 30th birthday approaches. To be fair that is a bit of an overstatement but as usual there is no plan unless I am the architect and builder. 

No comments: