Friday, December 17, 2010

Stepdad a Retrospective


I often think of how my stepchildren would have fared had I not entered their life. Make no mistake this is not going to be an entry about Jack the blowhard. My suspicion is they would have turned out just fine without me.  However, I do know their lives wouldn’t have been the same had I not entered their life, sometimes for the worse but I am confident mostly for the better. 

I know that I have done much better than their biological father could ever do but as I have chronicled he was never up to the task of being a father. Not his fault it was just not his strong suit. Of course the fact that I did not sire children gave me a different lens on how to be a custodian for children that were older and had already made up their minds about how they were going to live their life. The consistency of my sobriety kept the aberrant behavior they had to endure to a minimum.  

What factor did I have in their lives?  I suppose they had a home base that they knew would not contain the strife they had learned to live with in their past life. They knew that for the most part I was a reasonable man even though I thought I had gone beyond reason at times. I suppose I might change some things like establishing boundaries and being just a bit tougher with my stepson and his lack of drive at times but all in all with out a book I did my assignment fairly well. I give myself a B-.  

No comments: