Sunday, April 25, 2010

Alone at the Wheel



As I sit alongside my wife in a crowded hotel as she sets up for her craft show, the assembling admirers of her handiwork exclaim: “Did you make these?”  Yes my Margaret retorts in her uniquely demure fashion.  She has acquired the talent to be a little more aggressive albeit in a shy way. Nonetheless you can tell she is proud of her work and that is no small feat as she has a standard that even a high hurdler would find challenging.

What I find so calming to me is that it is here that I want to be today. I get the day off from my vigorous workout regimen. I have my computer and so I can write and I even have the backup which I have seemingly abandoned my journal and pen. This weekend has been a blessing for me as I feel this sense of not being an island, which was my own, self-imposed exile I sentenced myself to. 

I have a family and for that I am grateful.  As a childless male I have been blessed to take up stewardship of another who has left his post without so much as a tear being shed.  I spend no time feeling sorry for this biological father because luckily for me he has resigned his commission without so much as a departure letter. 

Lucky, blessed whatever you would like to call it I can continue my legacy if not in name but in the footprints I leave after I am long gone. Does anyone know how to make plaster casts?

No comments: