Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Ineffective Parent



As I continue to take psychology online I was studying about the ineffective parent. 
It never occurred to me that my parents neglected my needs but as I sit here I realize now that they did and they did mightily.  I recall that while growing up I needed outside references to help me make up my mind about myself.  My friends proved to be invaluable in endorsing the fact that I was indeed a good friend.  I know that that description is a rather broad generalization but at the time it meant a lot to me because I never felt I knew where I stood at home except when I was being chastised.  At times when my father was inebriated he might brag about me while I was in earshot but I never took those accolades seriously because I thought it was just his way of showing off. 

 I have lived with my own struggles as a stepparent because I had not been cognizant of   my own personal experience with mediocre parents. Little did I think that I might dole out my own brand of ineffective parenting to my own stepchildren? Who knows if they have been or not but I am sure that at times between my arrogance and silent scorn they wished they were someplace else. But for the most part I have been lucky not to have failed as miserably as my parents did.  They did the best they could with the resources they had. That piece of 20th century psychobabble is just not enough not anymore anyway and it’s within my province to make sure that I don’t repeat the mistakes of my father and mother.




No comments: