Monday, May 24, 2010

The Thaw


The life of a Step-Dad when Summer time is nigh feels a little more claustrophobic these days.  Maybe I am anticipating less time to do the things I became accustomed to over the early part of 2010.  Certainly writing was job one with me but now that I am back in the insurance game time will grow short when it comes down to my Microsoft word and I. 

My son and I have patched up our little freeze over my posting here and I guess it’s just both of our natures to let things go especially since we have grown closer than he ever could with his biological Dad.  I take no grandiosity in that statement because I have always said that his father has dropped the ball repeatedly over the last 12 years and he made my job most uncomfortable at times. However, I barely give him a second thought these days because I remember my A.A. idiom of being helpless changing people, places or things. In his case he remains an enigma I have no intention of trying to solve.

In any case my fondness for my daughter in law grows day by day and I have this strong paternal feeling about her.  This young woman is always consistent in her mood, demeanor and shyness.  I love her like a daughter I never had.  I am so glad my son found her and I know they love each other even during their little spats about usually possession of the computer or what the ingredients are to be in their daily meals.

No comments: