Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Electricity the High Priestess of False Security


There are some days that I get to have fun with my blended family. Last night was one of those nights. The kids were forced to be with my wife and I because the lights went out. Our lives of course are intertwined because we live together but it took the loss of electricity to actually put us in the same room other than the times we have meals together. It was sobering because I think we all started to appreciate that without power we have to supply our own.

Basil Rathbone as Sherlock Holmes in the 1944 movie, “The Pearl of Death” said: Electricity, the high priestess of false security. And with the blackout on our block last night that line from that fictional movie resonated quite solidly with all my family members even though they haven't seen that celluloid gem.

Just the thought of having no air conditioning, no lights, no TV and no Internet had us sitting on the couch collectively having to make conversation that we would normally never have. There were some silent intervals, which had to be expected but overall we managed and I found myself the least comfortable because I too often feel like I have to entertain my family. I just wasn't up to the task last night but then I realized I didn't have to carry the ball I could just be. I get caught up sometimes as a human doing instead of a human being. Last night I got a taste that 'being' was my only choice. Just then the lights went on.

No comments: