Sunday, July 11, 2010

Responsibility

I cannot be responsible for what I think the biological parents roles should be. I can only hope that I do not exacerbate their tenuous position of having their children in my care. I have to respect that there is a degree of trust by default for the father not being present on a day to day basis. I without instruction have a duty to care for children that are not my own so I have to hold myself to a higher standard that has to be beyond reproach and avoid negative scrutiny at all costs. I need not add to the broken family's wounds by trying to enhance my position at the expense of any of my blended family.

My responsibility is not to view my role as a saviour because that is a thankless role and only invites disappointment because there is no way that I can live up to what that role entails because being human I will fail and a saviour winds up on the cross eventually.


No comments: