Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Fisherman's Net


My parents had the perfect marriage when it came to how they handled one child trying to manipulate one over the other. My sister's and I would look for a weakness in either of our parents as a way to get something we wanted the other was dead set against. My mother would say: What did your father say and if we tried dad he would say the same thing: What did your mother say. They closed ranks faster than butter on hot corn on a summer day.

The same would be a perfect scenario for step parenting as well, but it rarely works out that way. Different agendas between the biological parent and the step parent inevitably lead to holes in the fish net. The fish that slip through the net are the step children. They can often manipulate the mother to get their way. Not in a devious way mind you but being egocentric as children are they feel it is their want. I have been powerless at times to be apart of decisions I would like to have been included in but in an effort to please kids I think mothers (in my case) have a tendency to try to over compensate for failed marriages even though those circumstances might have been out of her control. I have often called my wife “the bobble head doll”. In the early days of our marriage my wife when her children asked for something said yes before the question was out of their mouths.

The fisherman's net was often full of holes my step children swam through, I hope you get to sew the net better than I ever could.  

No comments: