Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Personal Boundaries


What would I give advice about? I think the first and most crucial is establishing boundaries. I never did that nor did I even consider how important it is. And I am not just talking about boundaries between husband and wife I am also talking about boundaries between you and the step children. The approach talk is relatively simple. And depending on the age of the step child, it can come simply in a relaxed conversation as to what you expect from them, and this is crucial let them speak about what they expect from you. This might take submerging your ego just a tad because as an adult we may not want to listen to what a younger person has to say. However, I think it can go a long way in making sure that you get started off on the right foot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes JB - I agree.

It's all how you start the relationship. You can't label yourself as a "reserve player" and then get upset because no one consulted you!

As a Step-parent, you are one of the adults in the household. They are the children. If you don't assert your role as a co-parent in the beginning, you can never expect to have a voice in the parenting process. Some people actually welcome the partner's input and assistance in raising their children - I know I do! It's part of the whole process in developing a relationship with a partner. If you marry (or cohabitate) with someone who has children, establishing boundaries ASAP should be an intrinsic part of the relationship.