Saturday, September 4, 2010

East is East and West is West


My wife and I have had several talks with the “immigrants” by way of the computer since their departure some 12 days ago. I marvel at the clarity of the voice the internet provides, in some ways better than being on the telephone. The camera feature makes if feel as if they are right here in the living room. My step daughter was here yesterday and it was as if 5 of us were in the room at the same time. 
It is almost as if this communication ability keeps me from missing them and makes me feel they have not left at all. A double edged sword I imagine.  However the lack of their physical presence is such a welcome respite for me. Little things like the opening and closing of doors are conspicuously absent. I have a sense of peace and serenity that they at any given moment will not walk in or walk out of the room I am in. That they will not be descending the stairs headed to the kitchen to flip on the light or light the stove or start the washing machine is a treat. Silence is golden.   I guess it’s the privacy too I am enjoying most of all. At least for the moment anyway. 


P.S.
I have removed the contextual ads from my blog, because they are just formulaic in nature and run contrary to what I am writing about.  Being a step parent is ad hoc and steps 1-12 will just not do. 

No comments: