Thursday, September 2, 2010

11 Days On


So many things are apparent to me beside the empty nest upstairs. Little things like the roll of paper towels I put on the ring is still half full, when it is usually gone in several days. The washer and dryer are getting a rest and so is the dishwasher. I am not cleaning the sink of debris in the drain and I am not listening to late night showers. I don’t have to shut lights out when there is no one in the room.  I know that the electric bill and the water bill will be considerably less when I get the next invoice. These are small things to be sure but there are other benefits as well.
Not since the children left a year ago, have I had complete peace of mind. My wife I know is lonely for my daughter in law as I have mentioned in this blog before. However, everyday I wake up and there is nothing to share except the air I breathe with my wife and our six felines. Even the chores I attend to at first light I do with nary a complaint. I love being alone and as the dryer stops just now I am soaking in the solitude that only an empty nest favors me with. I can be selfish without having anyone wanting something from me. I am not the caretaker for two months and God do I love that.   There is no crowd in the kitchen or the den. There are no secret conversations about plans being made that I will be made aware of after the fact. 
There is one thing I fear however, and that’s is how fast the time will evaporate and I will once again be filled with resentment. For now I am happy and I intend to savor it.  

No comments: