Monday, October 18, 2010

Are You In Or Are You Out?



As an adult when staying with my father at his home in Florida, he wanted to know when I was coming home. At 40 years old, I was slightly indignant. I’m a grown man not your child anymore. What I forgot was that I was his son and as long as I was under his roof he felt he had the right to know if I was going to be staying out all night or coming back home to the house. Not an invasion of my privacy or even being parental. The thought carries forward with adult step children.  As long as they live with you, don’t be afraid to ask them to tell you what their plans are.  You needn’t ask them details of their night out but just have them tell you if they’ll be home late or not. There’s nothing more foreboding when someone is missing from their bed and you weren’t told they would be somewhere else. 

No comments: