Friday, February 26, 2010

Bath of Fire





The second edition of self-actualization came when I started to assume the role of a stepfather.  It was a role that I had no experience in because I had no biological children of my own.  In a sense it was a bath by fire and pardon the pun but I did get burned on more than one occasion.  Being a step parent helped me to become more of a full person rather than just a single man that traipsed through women’s lives without much more positive regard for them than I had for myself. I lived a selfish existence and my life was all about me. How could I be successful in business and have fun was my mantra. I gave little thought to bringing meaningful contributions to another or significant others.  As long as I was happy, I hoped that the woman I was infatuated with was reasonably happy as well but only if she could satisfy my own personal and physical as well as emotional needs shallow as they might be.   

No comments: