Saturday, February 20, 2010

The Savior


Now I do not unfortunately have any biological children of my own but I am blessed with three stepchildren. Mine is a story of perceived self-efficacy that I had the capabilities of being not only a good stepfather but I thought I would be a great stepfather. I observed their biological father and his alleged deficiencies and thought to myself: hell this will be easy and not only easy but child’s play. I could not have been more mistaken and in the first year I suffered a major blow to my own personal agency and self esteem because the hangover that my stepchildren felt from their broken family left no room at least initially for a savior which is the role I auditioned for and the part I thought I was chosen to star in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't you think that believing that you are their savior is simply an ego booster for you? I always thought that was one of the problems - figuring out that you are not their savior after all may crush your ego??