Friday, February 19, 2010

The Step-Daughter


The main ingredient that put salt in my wounds was my middle stepdaughter. She from the start challenged my way of thinking because she only thought of herself, or so I thought. In the end she was busy dutifully fulfilling her dreams of making her own life and she was determined that she was going to live it her way in spite of me or despite me. What she made me realize is that I could never replace her father no matter how much she disliked his behaviors at times. The net result was that she began to love me silently at first but as time passed she showed her affirmation toward me when Fathers Day came one year and the card she sent made my heart stop and it was then that I realized that I didn’t have to be anything more than what I was her mother’s second husband and for that revelation I will always be grateful to her.

No comments: