Monday, August 30, 2010

The People Pleaser


The first week alone without the Immigrants (my stepson and daughter in law) is over in a double blink and as the Summer Sun loses the power of its declination and heads south for the fall, I am nonplussed as usual. I almost want to put the breaks on the clock however so I can enjoy the solitude that a two person household offers.  There is no empty nest anxiety I am experiencing, however I cannot say the same for my wife. I caught her crying as I came back from spin class yesterday morning but she refused to open up about the details. I made a searching inventory as I always do to determine if I was the miscreant but I know that is usually a selfish exercise. It’s all about her, not me.    She came out of it later in the day but I know she misses her daughter in law and the burgeoning bond they have developed working their jewelry magic together.   
My resolution to rescue her tugs at my heart strings, but I must resist as my savior days are over.  It is not so much selfish as it is that I need to redirect my feelings about what makes me happy instead of ameliorating the feelings in my wife’s solar plexus.  She is on her own road now and I hope that the sense of purpose she has found in her craft will make her take stock of her own talent and bolster her self esteem.  This is one of the most difficult actions I take as the “people pleaser” in me will not die a natural death.    

No comments: