Monday, August 9, 2010

Tied Up in Anger


I am so fortunate to have a friend like Michael. For it is in his friendship that I can vent my frustration and anger without clouding up and raining all over my wife and family. In AA I discovered that if I waited just one day when anger struck that I would feel differently the very next day. In fact AA held the premise that anger was best left to those who could handle it. I am clearly not an expert getting my point across when I am hot under the collar.  However, still being subject to human emotion and character defects as well as shortcomings, it is not always easy to refrain and take the high road when it comes to anger. 

A mere fifteen minutes with my friend and my bonds have been loosened and there is a sense of calmness that covers me right now.  I will not claim that it is serenity, but given time and understanding that will return as well.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you have Michael to talk to also...It's never easy nor is it healthy for you to keep 'it' all bottled up inside J.
Please try to meditate more often:)

Mylifeafteraa.blogspot.com said...

I practice what I learned in AA and that is I share my feelings with another human being. When I do that I half my distress. I don't know how this works but it does. Michael is extremely objective and unlike what typical friends might say in the hopes of not hurting my feelings, he gives it to me straight and when I am off the point or off on a tangent he brings me back to the center of the field. For this I am grateful and in many ways like others in my life I get a sense of validation that my feelings are not entirely based on some selfish agenda. And when they are he lets me know about it quick.