Monday, August 2, 2010

The Serenity Meter


I can truly measure where I am on my serenity meter when the little things my stepson does or more likely fails to do that amp up the needle of frustration.  In the silence of the morning while everyone is still fast asleep is where I notice most of the kitchen duties he leaves for “someone else” to perform. Today it was a full drainboard and two empty cartons of ‘stuff’ that only he ingests. More likely it is the water purifier container which he usually does not refill and I use when I make the morning coffee. It’s not an act of defiance I know this, it is just that he is in his own world of making plans that he cannot be aware of the simple things a household requires when there is more than one person living here besides himself. 
There are days that I want to respond in kind and leave virtually no water in the container as he does and when I am in a good space I ignore his complacency. I have asked him before so I do not expect him to be a mind reader but how much is enough? I hate having to sound like the old woman in a shoe to harp on these seemingly minor things that drive me up a wall. And no disrespect to old women living in a shoe because I don’t want to get fired writing this blog. He’s living in a dream world and his mother is always saying he knows what he needs to do. Knowing what to do and doing it can be a grand canyon leap with a broken leg.  
It’s a mid summer nights dream and soon the immigrants as I call them will be on their way half way round the world again on another two month hiatus. Gee I want this job in my next life. Where is the application? I just have to find a step-dad willing to indulge his wife like I do mine now. In any case I needed to get this off my mind as I head toward a fall where I can walk downstairs in my underwear or in just a T shirt. There is something to be said for bodily freedom. As a caveat in case they read this entry I do not hold my stepdaughter in the same light, she has been working in the salt mines with my wife on hand made jewelry which they are selling world wide now. She needs to see her family as her father went through a recent stroke. 

No comments: